Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rooftop View

This is one of the times I was kicking myself for not having color film with me, and for choosing a lousy weather day to visit the Observation Deck at the John Hancock Tower in Boston in 1980. I took a few photos anyway, trying to focus in on the rows of houses in the Back Bay and South End. These are the Back Bay houses. One of the things I found interesting is the in-law apartments added to the rooftops of a few of the houses, without any regard for the architectural integrity of the original structure. I enhanced the first version in an attempt to bring out more of the detail. [Click To Enlarge]



































New on my other blog: Jesus Loves U

4 comments:

Isadora said...

Architectural regard at those priced (even in 1980)? Surely, you jest :)
I bet they were being rented out to pay for whatever it was that was needed.

Isadora said...

p.s. Was the Kon Tiki still open in 1980 in the Pru? It was one of the favorite places to gorge ourselves when we were at MIT in 1970-71.

FĂ©nix - Bostonscapes said...

I always thought those were studios. Well, maybe some are. Actually, I know that at least one is. ~;D

BTW, the other day I read somewhere about the "new $tatu$ symbols: home elevators." I know of a few (four, I think) houses in the neighborhood that had elevators installed in the past couple of years; more of a practical solution to the aging problem than anything else, at least around here.

BeanTownBoy said...

Isadora: I am a joker! I just thought a decent carpenter could have made them appear to belong, lol. I have no idea about the Kon Tiki, sounds like something I could go for right now, though!

Fenix: Ah, Studios, I never thought of that. Sounds great!

I saw something about elevators also, oddly enough. I had a friend that lived on Comm Ave and his house was huge compared to mine. I can see why an elevator would be useful, especially for the aging.

Now that I think of it, I have a customer that advertises stair lifts and elevators - a "mobility" company.